REHAU is a global leader in polymer solutions for construction, automotive and industry. Around the world, we offer our customers in every market innovative system solutions and outstanding service from a single source. Even today, we are already directing our developments toward such future-significant topics as energy efficiency, renewable energy, water management, mobility and future living. With approximately 20,000 employees at more than 170 locations, our independent privately held corporation has assumed a leadership role as an innovation driver and solution provider.
Founding of company
Founded in 1948 in the Bavarian town of Rehau, the company was successful in identifying many opportunities to replace traditional materials with more effective, polymer-based materials. Initial products included shoe welting, garden hose and automotive components.
REHAU established a North American division in Montreal called Plasticana in 1959, which initially sold products including tires, tiles and handrails. The North American headquarters moved to Leesburg, Virginia, in 1979.
In 2000, company founder Helmut Wagner transferred control of the company to his sons. Jobst Wagner became president of the REHAU Group and Dr. Veit Wagner became vice president.
During our first decade, REHAU was successful in establishing its business in Germany and Austria. This was followed by expansion throughout Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Asia and Australia. Today, REHAU is represented worldwide in more than 50 countries.
The REHAU Group headquarters is located in Muri, Switzerland. Our operations are divided into three global regions:
- EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
- Asia Pacific
The Americas headquarters is located in Leesburg, Virginia. It oversees operations across 4 sub-region administrative offices, 20 sales offices, 9 plants and 8 logistics centers throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America and South America.
By focusing on medium- and long-term goals rather than on short-term profits, REHAU will remain an independent and reliable business partner. With an emphasis on stable growth, the company targets industries and regions that promise long-term potential.
Our wide-ranging competencies are divided into five divisions: Window Solutions, Building Solutions, Furniture Solutions, Industrial Solutions and Automotive..
We honor our promise of quality by continually offering targeted training to architects, craftsmen, retailers and sales personnel so they are able to develop in-depth knowledge of our solutions. Seminars are held regularly at our training centers, at customers' locations and online.
Research and innovation
REHAU develops materials, formulas and processes suitable for series production. Through successful collaboration of applications engineers, laboratory technicians, process engineers, and tooling and machinery design specialists, REHAU provides significant benefit to our customers.
- 1968 Begins production of crosslinked polyethylene (PEXa) pipe, the technology currently used in heating and geothermal applications
- 1976 Introduces first welded vinyl window system to North America
- 1996 Supplies first Mercedes vehicle produced in North America
- 2003 Introduces RAUPANELTM dry-panel installation system for radiant heating
- 2005 Receives patent for windshield molding design that eliminates micro-cracking at the windshield’s edg
- 2006 Participates in the construction of the first German Passivhaus in North America, Concordia Language Villages in Minnesota
- 2007 Introduces Ski-Line, an innovative ski jumping track system that combines summer and winter tracks into a single module
- 2008 Introduces GENEO®, a fully reinforced window profile system made from the high-tech material RAUFIPRO®
- 2009 Replaces traditional materials with polymers in RELAZZOTM terrace system, based on RAU-WOOD wood-polymer composite material, and RAUTITANTMpolymer fitting system
- 2010 Completes REHAU heat pump program for heating and cooling
- 2011 Awarded Bavarian Quality Prize in the Industry category for outstanding process and product quality as well as for an innovative company-wide quality assurance concept; recognized by the Bavarian State Government for active protection of environment and health
- 2011 Develops ULTRALITEC, a new type of production process that combines fibers with thermoplastic using a special compression molding and laying technique
- 2013 REHAU approaches the status of full-range supplier for the furniture industry with its new laminate RAUVISIO
- 2015 GENEO INOVENT – The window that ventilates while closed thanks to an integrated ventilation system and therefore reduces energy losses.
- Americas: 9 plants and 8 logistics centers, 20 sales offices
- Worldwide: more than 170 locations, 40 plants and 110 sales offices
- Americas: approximately 3,000
- Worldwide: approximately 20,000
- Theo Haast, president and CFO
- Terry Barnaby, COO
- Dr. Thomas Troeger, CMO